When the former Stanford students created Snapchat, they never realized it can go viral around the globe. According to Statista, Snapchat had 158 million users in the fourth quarter of 2016. The unique features, like auto-delete and stories, were an instant hit with the users. It was like as if the creators knew the demands of the user. Snapchat proved to be an irresistible application. But, what if you wish to delete Snapchat account? It sounds vague but yes, some avid users decide to delete their Snapchat profile for valid reasons.
1. When does it go wrong?
2. Consequences of being a Snapchat User
3. Reasons to Delete Snapchat Account
- 3.1 Social interaction
- 3.2 Virtual versus Reality
- 3.3 Insecurity
- 3.4 Priorities
- 3.5 Procrastinator
4. How to delete Snapchat Account?
5. Step 1 – Deactivate your Snapchat Account
6. Step 2 – Permanently Delete Snapchat Account
7. Reactivate Snapchat Account
When does it go wrong?
Social media is an integral part of everyone’s life nowadays. It’s a medium for connecting with your loved ones. Your friends and your family members, who lives in different parts of this world, gets an opportunity to interact with each other. Not only in personal space but in a professional circle as well, social media plays an important role in accomplishing tasks. Therefore, social media is an inseparable aspect of a person’s life.
But in this process of communication, we tend to misuse our freedom of interaction. For example, your Snapchat profile compels you to display your present status. When you see your friends in a certain situation, you are compelled or lured by the circumstance. You cannot resist the temptation of getting involved. Moreover, you develop a habit of constant connection. You cannot live without knowing what is happening around you. Well, if this behavior is concerned with a constructive aspect, there is no harm in continuing with the habit. But unfortunately, most of the times, it is a destructive one.
Consequences of being a Snapchat User
There is a thin line between being a user and being an addict. If you consider yourself in the former situation, everything is on track. But, if you have a doubt of being in the latter category, it’s time to refrain yourself from the temptations. If you are successful in doing so, you can be a happy Snapchat user. But, if you think that your ship is sinking, it is better to delete Snapchat account.
I know it’s hard but you have to make decisions. You would like to march ahead in life. Won’t you? There are certain signs hinting that you should delete your Snapchat account. What are these signs?
Reasons to Delete Snapchat Account
- Social interaction – This is an arguable topic. When you are chatting on Snapchat or sharing your present status in a circle, you may term it as social interaction. But in this process, you tend to avoid a person sitting beside you. This may be unintentional but it is a fact. You don’t bother to know the person beside you but you would like to extract a person’s history on social media. This sounds absurd, doesn’t it?
- Virtual versus Reality – All the pictures, videos, GIFs, etc on social media, is it real? I mean, there is a probability that the thing is not real. Most of the times, virtual parameters are an illusion. It has been constructed or depicted in such a way that it imparts a feeling of attention, curiosity, and sometimes, inferiority.
- Insecurity – When you see people traveling around the world and you are stuck in life’s chores, a feeling of insecurity develops inside you. Gradually, you become frustrated with your online presence. In order to isolate this negative feeling of insecurity, you can consider deleting the Snapchat account.
- Priorities – Life is all about priorities. If you are able to understand this concept, you will be able to make something out of your life. Being a Snapchat user is good unless it affects your priorities and decisions. If your professional or personal life is getting hampered, it is time to delete Snapchat account.
- Procrastinator – Snapchat is an addictive application, no doubt! In the process, if you are piling your work for the next day or hour, you are losing on opportunities. You are becoming nothing but a procrastinator. Ultimately, it will affect your growth. How can you detach yourself from this habit of procrastination? Delete your Snaphat account and make your priorities clear.
How to delete Snapchat Account?
If you have made your decision about deleting the Snapchat account, the first step towards deleting Snapchat account would be to deactivate your Snapchat account. You can do so by following these simple steps.
Step 1 – Deactivate your Snapchat Account
- You already have an account on Snaphat. But for deactivating or deleting your Snapchat account, you have to use Snapchat on a web browser. You cannot do it with the Snapchat app, whether its iOS app or Android app.
Open a web browser on your desktop, laptop, or smartphone. Type the name of the official website of Snapchat. Click Enter.
- On the home page of the Snapchat website, scroll down to the bottom of the page. Here, in the footer section, you will find a heading, Community. Under this, there will be a link, Support. Click on this link. You will be directed to the Snapchat Support page.
- Here, on the left section, you will find a heading, My Accounts & Settings. Click on this link. It will show a drop-down menu with a lot of links concerning a user’s account.
- In this drop-down menu, click on the link, Account Information. Under this option, again a drop-down menu will open. You will find an option, Delete my Account. Click on the link.
- When you click this link, you will find a description on the right side on the same page. In this description, click on the Page link. You will be directed to the Snapchat page for processing your deletion request.
- Enter your login details on this page. Enter Username in the first row and Password in the second row. Check the I’m not a robot box. Confirm your human identity by following the procedure. After this, click on LOG IN link.
- You will gain access to your Snapchat account. You can manage your account on this page. You can generate Snapcode, change the account password, unlock the account, etc. You will also find an option Delete My Account. Click on this link.
- Now, Snapchat doesn’t want you to leave them and therefore, they will try convincing you for reconsideration. Anyways, you can proceed with your decision of deleting the Snapchat account. Again, you have to enter your credentials. After entering, click on Continue.
- That’s it! Your Snapchat is now deactivated. You will receive a confirmation regarding the same on your verified email address.
After deactivation, you will lose all your chats and Snaps. Therefore, think before you proceed further with your decision of deleting your account. Account deactivation is the first step towards deletion process.
Step 2 – Permanently Delete Snapchat Account
Deleting your Snapchat account permanently looks like an easy job. But, it is not that easy. For permanent deletion, you have to deactivate the Snapchat account and wait for 30 days. After 30 days, the Snapchat account will be deleted permanently. You will not be able to retrieve it in any case. You will lose your chats, snaps, and everything.
Now, why is it so hard to delete Snapchat account permanently? When you deactivate the account, you get 30 days to reconsider your decision. There are high chances that you will be tempted to retrieve back your account. This is the struggle between your temptation and willpower. The stronger one will win!
In any case, if you wish to reactivate your Snapchat account, you can do so by following the given steps.
Reactivate Snapchat Account
Are you are missing those good old Snapchat days? You can reactivate your Snapchat account easily.
- Install Snapchat on your smartphone. Open the app.
- Click on the Log In link. You have to enter your credentials like Username and Password. After feeding the information, click on Log In.
- Snapchat will iterate the statement regarding deactivation of your account. It will display the number of days left for permanent deletion of the Snapchat account.
- If you are willing to reactivate it, click on Yes otherwise, click on Cancel.
- After clicking on Yes, it will take some time to reactivate your account. You will get intimation via email. If you agree to the terms, click on OK.
- When you receive an email confirming reactivation, you can log in to your Snapchat account.
By following the detailed procedure, you will be able to delete Snapchat account without any difficulty. Anything in excess is always bad. If we can balance everything in our life, we can extract benefits from each and every source. This is true for social media accounts as well. Optimum usage of Snapchat can prove beneficial for maintaining your social life and presence. Handle your daily chores, life goals, and Snapchat wisely; you will not be disappointed.
However, if you have a better option than Snapchat, then it’s a different issue altogether. If you think you can live a better life without Snapchat, you can consider deleting a Snapchat account with the help of detailed instructions.
Read also: How to Delete Messages on Snapchat?